For more than two decades, the Central Arizona Water Conservation District (CAWCD) Board of Directors (Board) has emphasized the importance of strategic planning. The first Strategic Plan was published in May 1996, identifying key strategies and specific programs to accomplish objectives. The Board updated or created new plans in 2006, 2010 and 2016.
2016 CAWCD Board Strategic Plan
The 2016 CAWCD Board of Directors Strategic Plan is organized around several Key Result Areas (KRA). Each KRA includes important strategic issues, along with objectives and action plans necessary to achieve each result. This hierarchy of issues, objectives and action plans serves as the context for many other planning activities at CAP, including the biennial budget, department business plans, the “Big 5” organization-wide annual objectives, Board reports and employee performance goals. The 2016 Strategic Plan will continue to be implemented through the end of 2021.
2022 CAWCD Board Strategic Plan
The Board has begun the process to review and build a new strategic plan for implementation in 2022. In late 2019, an outside consultant was hired to facilitate the process to develop the new 2022 CAWCD Board Strategic Plan, which includes several Board retreats dedicated to strategic planning, employee input, and stakeholder forums to ensure public input into the new plan. The plan is anticipated to be approved in late 2020 or early 2021 to coincide with the two-year business planning cycle for the development of the 2022-23 Business Plans for CAP departments.
- February 5, 2020 – Board Retreat #1
- March 3-4, 2020 – Stakeholder Forums
- June 3, 2020 – Board Retreat #2
- July 29-30, 2020 – Stakeholder Forums
- September 2, 2020 – Board Retreat #3
- November 5, 2020 – Board of Directors Meeting – presentation of plan
- December 3, 2020 – Board of Directors Meeting – vote to approve plan (if ready)
- Draft Strategic Plan Framework – Vision, Key Results Areas and Strategic Issues
For questions or more information, contact Megan Casey.