Arizona Water Story
Designed for students in grades 4-6, this program includes a six-lesson teacher’s guide and a three-part video. It is correlated to the ELA Common Core education standards, also called Arizona’s College and Career Ready Standards. This program may be particularly useful as a supplement to the study of Arizona as a state, or as a supplement to a physical science unit on natural resources. Many subject areas are integrated into the content to help students develop specific skills (critical thinking, organizing data, predicting, mapping, graphing).
- Lesson 1: Foundations of Water – Building Background, Water Cycle, Global Water Budget
- Lesson 2: AZ’s Geography – Map skills, AZ salt dough map, Regions, Precipitation
- Lesson 3: Watersheds in AZ – Surface Water, Ground water
- Lesson 4: AZ Water Story – Historical Video
- Lesson 5: Water Rights and Policy – Problem Solving, Critical Thinking
- Lesson 6: Water Conservation – Behavioral, Water-Saving Devices, Tree Ring
- Download the Teacher’s Guide
The video features Arizona youth telling the water story in three, 10-minute segments:
- The Water We Take for Granted
- Arizona Wasn’t Always This Way
- What About Tomorrow?