Drought Contingency Plan
Arizona Discussion on Lower Basin Drought Contingency Plan
The Arizona Department of Water Resources (ADWR) and Central Arizona Water Conservation District (CAWCD) collaboratively lead efforts to finalize the Drought Contingency Plan (DCP) in Arizona. They lead the Steering Committee, which included approximately 40 water professionals from throughout the state, as they discussed a broad range of issues that addressed the concerns of all stakeholders across the state. The meetings concluded in February 2019.
Details of that process can be found here.
Basin States’ Letter to Congress and Package of DCP Agreements
- HB2540 – Pinal Groundwater Infrastructure Fund
- HB2541 – System Conservation Fund
- HB2542 – Groundwater Savings Facilities, Storage Credits
- HB2543 – Water Banks, Storage Credits, Exchanges
- HB2544 – Effluent, Recharge, Credits
- HB2545 – Amendments, Colorado River Drought Contingency
- HJR2002 – Colorado River Drought Contingency Plan Joint Resolution
More Information about DCP
- March 7, 2019 – CAWCD Board Convenes for March Meeting: Approves one more AZDCP agreement for Arizona ICS Program
- February 21, 2019 – CAWCD Convenes for Special Board Meeting Regarding Intrastate DCP Agreements
- January 31, 2019 – CAWCD Convenes for Special Board Meeting Regarding DCP Agreements
- January 24, 2019 – CAWCD Convenes for Special Board Meeting Regarding Drought Contingency Plan
- January 7, 2019 – CAWCD Board Authorizes up to $5 million for CAP Ag Pool Groundwater Infrastructure and Efficiency Program
- December 19, 2018 – Getting to the Finish Line – What’s Next for Colorado River Drought Contingency Planning?
- December 7, 2018 – CAWCD Clears Path for Arizona Drought Contingency Implementation Plan
- September 6, 2018 – Update on AZ LBDCP Process
- August 15, 2018 – Implementing the Lower Basin Drought Contingency Plan in Arizona: 4 Essential Elements
- July 25, 2018 – AZDCP Stakeholder Steering Committee Kicks Off First Meeting
- June 27, 2018 – Arizona Moving Forward on Lower Basin Drought Contingency Planning Discussions
AZDCP Public Meeting Materials
Steering Committee Delegates and Alternates,
The discussions surrounding the intra-State DCP mitigation plan are fluid and moving toward a critical juncture.
When the Co-chairs scheduled the mitigation work group meeting for 1 p.m. Thursday, November 8, we anticipated that delegates who were working on comprehensive mitigation proposals would be ready to share them at the meeting for discussion and consideration.
We have been informed by certain parties that they need more time to refine their proposals and to discuss them with various stakeholder groups represented on the Steering Committee.
To that end, we believe that the best path forward is to give them that opportunity before holding another meeting. Therefore the November 8 meeting is cancelled.
When it becomes clear that the time is right to hold the next meeting, we will set a date and inform you.
Thank you for your patience and continued support of the process.
Feel free to reach out to the Chairs with questions or concerns.